Re: Nepenthes vine with tendrils but no pitchers

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 21:31:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 22 Jul 99 00:31 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes vine with tendrils but no pitchers

Dear Steve,

> I've got a Nepenthes plant with a vine six feet long with tendrils but
> no pitchers. I just moved it into a brighter spot in my greenhouse
> yesterday. What do I need to do, or feed it, to get it to pitcher?

   Well, you are on the right track here. Bright light is needed.
I don't think you will to feed it anything, but you could try
flushing the pot with distilled water. Some people feel that Nepenthes
will not pitcher if they have too much nutrient available. While I
feel this is partly true, I think it is more complicated than just
how much they have been feed or how rich the soil is. Anyway, I
have noticed that some species "get stuck" making vines w/o pitchers
regardless of the conditions. However, once basal shoots start
coming up, the plant will start pitchering again. My suggestion
is to go ahead with your plan to make cuttings, it will spur the
basals on.

Dave Evans