Re: Legaity of Collection

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 03:20:06 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 06:20:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Legaity of Collection

I am familiar with the laws of the State of Florida, USA, concerning
collection of plants. The Florida statute that applies is S-185.581 and the
administrative rule is 5B-40. These are available on the web on a page put
up by some department of the Florida government.

The guts of it are:
        1. If you own a piece of land, you can do anything that you want
with the plants growing on it. You can collect them. You can then give them
away or sell them (If they are listed by the state or feds, you must get a
permit to sell them, but this permit is essentially automatic for the
landowner), you can burn or otherwise destroy them, etc.
        If you do not own the land, then you must have written permission
of the landowner or legal custodian in order to collect plants or plant
parts (including seeds!). If the plants are a listed species, then you must
also have a permit from DPI (Florida Division of Plant Industries) in order
to collect.

There is probably more in the details, but these are the general
guidelines. Note that the above means ALL plant parts, including seeds.

I don't know how much overlap there is between federal and state law, but I
imagine that they are fairly close.

- Carl