Legaity of Collection

From: chris (drosera@CAM.ORG)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 15:20:52 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:20:52 -0400
From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Legaity of Collection

Hi,

I am growing a small assortment of CPs for sale in Canada. Today,
an email contact of mine offered to collect some Sarracenias and
Droseras for me. I told him that he is not allowed to collect from
the wild, but that he is if the plants are on his property, or
someone else's and he gets permission, then he is allowed. I also
told him that he MIGHT be allowed to collect seed from wild plants,
but that I would check on that first.

So basically my questions are these:

1- Am I right that he is allowed to collect plants off his own land, or
someone else's with permission?

2- Is it legal to collect seed from wild growing plants?

3- I would like to hear the American viewpoint on this as well since
I don't know if any Canadian person will be responding. In any
case, does anyone know if the laws about these plants in the United
States also apply to Canada? (Like, for instance, the Wildlife
Protection Act, which covers both, and other countries as well, I
think)

If it is permitted, I would only take a couple of specimens of each
species, just enough to start a new batch of plants with a different
genetic content "genotype"(?).

If I have given this person the completely wrong information, please
email privately me so that I can tell him so as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Chris F.

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]