Nepenthes Pitcher feeding

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 08:19:39 PDT

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 11:19:39 -0400
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Pitcher feeding

I agree with pitcher feeding Nepenthes after _complete_ pitcher
maturation. I have noticed especially during the Florida Summer months,
pitchers open quite soft and not full size, N.fazalliana pitchers can
grow as much as 2" after opening! One of my more woody N.bicalcarata
plants has completely consumed a small feeder goldfish (which died of
natural causes :),without any apparent harm to the pitcher, I expected
to loose the pitcher, yet after 2 months no damage. I would not suggest
trying this at home, gives the pitcher bad breath, but it is amazing how
tough and woody some Nepenthes species can get.
> Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 17:44:50 EDT
> From: CMDodd@aol.com

> << Too much food! Your Nepenthes trap has indigestion. Try putting it on a
> 1-cricket diet.
> - Carl
>
> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Wilson wrote:
> > The newest trap turned brown and dying way faster than the older traps
> > after I fed it like 3 crickets. Is that normal?
> > Wilson:)
> Dear Wilson,
>
> I agree with Carl, a little at a time is better than too much all at
> once. One other problem is feeding insects to a trap too soon after it
> opens. Give it a week or too after fully opening to mature and harden off so
> you don't damage the trap.
>
> I am more convinced then ever that pitcher feeding has merit. About two
> months ago I pitcher fed every plant I have. While growth was not uniform
> among the various species, some plants have shown a four-fold growth in leaf
> size! I just froze another batch of crickets today and hope to feed the
> plants later. (Don't forget to thaw first!)
>
> Cliff
Take care,
Steven Stewart