maintaining correct humidity

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 20:45:17 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:45:17 -0500
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: maintaining correct humidity

Hey Listmembers!

Me again... I just set up a larger terrarium in order to accomodate my
growing plant collection, but I'm having some problems maintaining
proper humidity levels. The tank is a 40 gallon "breeder" (long and
wide, and not very tall) with four fluorescent bulbs across the top.
I've got a glass aquarium lid over the top, and I've removed the splash
guard from the canopy in order to get some air circulating in the tank.
That leaves a gap about 1" wide at the back of the tank. I mist the
tank with a water bottle three to four times a day, and the humidity
will increase to about 60%, but when I come back four or five hours
later, it has gone back down to about 10%. I have 6" saucers full of
water covering the bottom of the tank (18 saucers to be exact). I want
to make sure that the humidity level is stable before I move my plants
into it. Any suggestions on how to get the humidity up and make it stay
there? The tank itself is 3 feet long. Should I fill in a portion of
the gap in the back or what? Thanks for the help.

TTYL,
Will
wgorum@softdisk.com
Shreveport, LA