Re: Use the Trading Post!

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 01:52:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 17 Jun 99 04:52 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Use the Trading Post!

Dear Jonathan,

> ALL users; begging for gifts of specific plants definitely does NOT meet
> that requirement. I would like to make a respectful request that people
> keep trade requests and advertisements to the CP Trading Post, which is
> designed for just that and works quite effectively.

   I'm using this e-mail 'cause I prematurely erased your second.
In your second e-mail you stated that you don't want to single
anyone out. Why not? If someone is annoying you then you really
ought to take it with them, not the whole list. Like I am with
you, even though this mail is on the list, I am singling you out
publicly because I think you're ideas for this forum are way off base.
   I sure don't follow the 'punish the group for the transgressions
of the few' method. It's a dumb idea. Most people on the list who
sell plants are respectable, professional minded folks. Why group
them in with the few brash, and somewhat annoying posters? As someone
else mentioned, once they realized that some of their posts were
annoying, they changed their tune. I have gotten better at conducting
myself on the list when given good advice from more experienced
people. I hope you do too.
   I think people feel constrained by the list, and aren't as apt to
to post as in the past (I have been on the list for about four years).
I think it's a shame. Right now I'm having a really interesting
e-mail discussion with Andrew Marshall about Nepenthes, evolution
and plasticity of plants and how this might effect the rate of
change observed (or not) in species. I feel it's just these sort of
discussions which belong on the list, but we both seem to feel more
comfortable off the list. I wish it weren't so.
   If these mails bother you so much (in that you want to take the
step to ban trading from the list) drop the offender a line, on
the list, or privately and explain to them just why their mail
is annoying. Most likely they don't realize how they sound/read.

done with this dead horse,
Dave Evans