RE: spittlebugs and others

From: tierney wayne (hybrid_t@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 21:33:18 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:33:18 PDT
From: tierney wayne <hybrid_t@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: spittlebugs and others

Hi there,
I know this is not an entomology group, but for the record, true bugs are
_Hemi_pterans. _Homo_pterans include the insects originally discussed, ie:
aphids, leafhoppers, spittlebugs.

I realize this does nothing whatsoever to answer the original poster's
question: what are these hopping things with "fluff" around them?!! (And I'm
pretty sure that I have seen spittlebugs hop, btw.) I've never heard of
Antlion bugs; perhaps they are endemic to Australia? I don't remember where
the original post was from, anyhow...

>These bugs sound like the nymphs of an insect that is known here as the
>Lacewing Bug (a true bug - Homoptera, bugs with same wings, not to be
>confused with Lacewings or Antlions). Being a true bug they are a sucking
>insect, in other words they are just like big aphids that jump, and should
>be treated accordingly. (snip)

Now for my pest problems... I have little green caterpillars eating my
pitchers from the inside out. They have some sort of webbing that they live
in. I remember this coming up a while ago, but I don't remember if it was
ever decided exactly what these are. (Little green caterpillars, yes I know,
but I'd like to know what the adult looks like so I can squash them!) Also,
would B.t. be effective to spray when they are inside the plant? Any advice
would be appreciated- they have decimated my Darlingtonia!! :(
Thanks in advance,
Tierney
San Jose, CA