Re: drosera stragglers (germination)

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 12:54:14 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: drosera stragglers (germination)

hi again Christer,

> Hi,
>
> I planted some D. spathulata seeds in november. Approx. 25 days later
> they germinated. Today they are an inch in diameter and is sitting in a
> water tray on the windowsill. Just a couple of days ago I noticed two
> small seedlings beside them. Is it normal with delayed germination (7
> month) in the drosera genus?

        Yes, I've seen this often with my own Drosera, some new guys
popping up up to a year after sowing the seed. Some seed just waits.
It's beneficial to the plants survival not to have all seed germinate at
once, as poor conditions (freezes, fires, etc.) would wipe out the entire
next generation of plants. If you wait as a seed which is more resistant
to these changes, it ensures that at least one or more survives for the
next generation.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Christer Berglund