Re: More info on my undewy sundew

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 12:44:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:44:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More info on my undewy sundew

Hi Amy,

        Thanks for the additional info, that definitely helps.
D.rotundifolia is primarily restricted to more northerly latitudes, as it
needs an extended dormancy period to thrive. In my experience, I have
only ever been able to grow this species really well in pure live sphagnum
moss (dried long-fibred moss should be fine). I grow them in non-draining
containers as opposed to regular pots, as they love the higher water
levels. I usually flood the container right to the underside of the
leaves, and then let water levels drop over time. In the wild, they're
often partially submerged, so the water does them good!

        The container size should be at least 4 inches (depth is really
more important, to allow the roots to grow). I grow mine in full sun
(partial sun is ok, but the beautiful red colouration will not come out)
and at whatever temperature it happens to be outside. If you have cold
winters, this is one sundew that is perfect for your climate.

        Now, the reason the leaves may not be producing any dew is because
of the shock of moving it from inside the dark, warm nursery (I imagine it
was probably inside with the tropicals) to the sunny outside porch. I
have done this many times before and the usual trend is for the plant to
shock, and whatever leaves are present, to slowly die off. Don't worry
though, if the conditions are right, the _new_ leaves will be produced and
have the sticky dew on them.

        Finally, if this is a Gubler's sundew, it's likely not
D.rotundifolia. I say this because all of their sundews labelled
D.rotundifolia that I've seen over the years were always D.adelae. Look
in the cp database, if you're not completely sure what it is. If it is
D.adelae, well, that's a whole other story!

Happy growing,

Chris

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Amy Ritchie wrote:

> Hi, in my last post I didn't give enough information
> on my sundew. It is a D. Rotundifolia. I keep it
> outside in our sunporch, and I guess it gets around
> 70-75 degrees farenheit out there. I'm not sure
> exactly what the soil mixture is because I bought it
> from a place already potted and I didn't ask, but I
> believe it's pure saphgum moss. I keep it sitting in
> about a half inch of pure water. I've had the plant
> like three weeks, and it hasn't had any dew on it
> since I got it. Now that you know all that, maybe you
> guys can tell me why it has no dew on it. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Amy
> http://www.homestead.com/flytraps
>
> ===