Re: Chipmunk problems

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 20:41:01 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 08:41:01 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Chipmunk problems

Mark:

>Lately I have been having a run of problems with some Sarracenia pots grown
>outside my coldframe. There seems to have been an invasion of the common
>ground squirrel ( chipmunks) that rip holes around the base of the medium,
>exposing roots and so forth.

Trust me on this one: wettable sulphur dust.

Try to keep it out of the traps, otherwise: sprinkle it so you can smell
it. Your squirrels will be _so_ POed at you.

I grow my sarrs outdoors (summer) in coon country. Works with deer, also.
If you have a continual problem, "refresh" after a rain.

Cat digging in your garden? Acidify the particular spot with sulphur. The
cat will go to the neighbours' newly turned beds. Once safe, use lime to
bring back the pH.

Kind regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
Maritime New Brunswick, Canada, Zone 5b and, finally, wet!