Re: Regarding the possibility of discovery of new carnivorous plants

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHURNEYM@uk.oracle.com)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 10:37:24 PDT

Date: 19 May 99 18:37:24 +0100
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <NHURNEYM@uk.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Regarding the possibility of discovery of new carnivorous plants

Am I right in thinking that all the currently recognised trapping
mechanisms were known by Darwin? If that is so, no new trapping
mechanisms have been found for a long time so statistically we are
likely to have found them all. The best hope in this direction
would appear to lie with people like Fernando who frequent under-
botanised areas.

The object of a CP is to secure its prey where it can digest it with
enzymes. Sadly that probably rules out shooting and spearing
mechanisms (until the GM scientists decide to have some fun).

Regards, NigelH