Re: Regarding the possibility of discovery of new carnivorous plants

From: Chris Hind (chind@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 23:52:36 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:52:36 -0700
From: "Chris Hind" <chind@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Regarding the possibility of discovery of new carnivorous plants

> The object of a CP is to secure its prey where it can digest it with
> enzymes. Sadly that probably rules out shooting and spearing
> mechanisms (until the GM scientists decide to have some fun).

I was recently reading an article in i believe it was scientific american a
few months back where they found this plant which produced burrs which
caught alot of hummingbirds but was not carnivorous. The hummingbirds were
flying at such high speeds theyd stick right into the burrs and die. So
perhaps spearing isnt completely out of the question. Just passive spearing.