Re: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

From: Sean Barry (sjbarry@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 07:26:16 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 07:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sean Barry <sjbarry@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

> Did you see the story recently about the crate of rare monkeys that
> arrived in Holland from China without proper documentation? No
> Dutch institutions wanted them and the Chinese wouldn't take them
> back so they were put, still alive, into a mincer for dog food.
> Another victory for the conservationists? With success stories like
> these to their credit, conservationist is rapidly becoming a
> deprecated profession like tax inspector, used car salesman etc.

Whoever made up that self-serving tripe knows nothing about monkeys,
CITES, the Biodiversity convention, proper documentation, dog food,
Holland, China, mincers, conservationists, tax inspectors, used car
salesmen, or even etc. I hope the originator of this post did it for fun
because there's nothing in it that even remotely resembles reality. I'm
sorry to see such a worthwhile forum as the CP list sullied by such
patently apocryphal material, and I hope it doesn't degenerate further.

Sean Barry