Re: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 01:10:45 PDT

Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 04:10:45 -0400
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

monkeys, CITES, the Biodiversity convention, proper documentation,
dog food, Holland, China, mincers, conservationists, tax inspectors,
used car salesmen, or even etc. I hope the originator of this post
did it for fun because there's nothing in it that even remotely
resembles reality. I'm sorry to see such a worthwhile forum as the
CP list sullied by such patently apocryphal material, and I hope it
doesn't degenerate further.

Sean Barry<<<<

It may come as a surprise to you then, that near all of the Britons
on this list can verify this "tripe" - but for the fact that it was
actually (300?) Chinese Ground Squirrels. These, as reported, were
dropped through a mincing machine - in Europe it is a fairly common
method used, as it is seen as the most humane way of destroying
large numbers of animals given that it results in supposedly
instantaneous death. Unless you have insider information that
suggests otherwise, none of us over here can deny its having
happened; it was reported in even the most prestigious broadsheet
papers as well as on television. How you can see what was said as
"self-serving" is beyond me, and if you are prepared to attack
another individual for something which, as far as anyone else can
tell, you clearly know nothing about, you had best keep it to
yourself. Paradoxically enough, these messages (and this one) only
serve to contribute to the 'trash' that you cite - the best thing to
do is to ignore them or keep your responses private.

Sincerely,

Alastair.