Re: B. reducta

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 26 1999 - 15:16:09 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:16:09 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: B. reducta

<< Hi list, i am looking for information on B. Reducta. I have had a large
 plant for more than a year now, it is in a porous soil of lava rock, sand ,
 peat, and pearlight. The plant seems to have slown down, most new leaves are
 not as large as previous ones. It stands a foot tall. It has not produced
 any brood bodies either. Can any one help that has expirence with this cp?
 All help is appreciated. One last question, i have several sarra's that
 are bursting from there pots, they are blooming now and have a pitcher or
two
 on them, can i transplant now if i don't disturb the root ball?

 Thanks, William ( Bill) Hoyer
              Snata Rosa, CA >>

Dear William,

I have has fair sucess with B. reducta and have been through all types of
soils, temperature ranges, etc. What seems to work best is cool to moderate
temperatures say 80-85 days and 55-65 nights. Soil that does o.k. is equal
parts peat / perlite/ coarse sand. I would not overpot. Soil can dry out a
bit between waterings, make sure there is water in the central tank. Pure
water is best. It is my understanding that this is no longer considered a
carnivore, but it is still an interesting bromeliad and a good companion
plant with Heliamphora and Utrics from the same habitat. I don't think
transplanting at any time will hurt the plant.

By the way, Selby Botanic Gardens has another species in this genus, I am not
sure which one but the plant has an 8 foot 'trunk' and at the top an 8 foot
leaf spread!!! I believe that this plant occurs on the Gran Sabana and is one
of the host plants for U. humboltii. Quite a different animal (or plant)
altogether from B. reducta and a bit large for a terrarium or greenhouse.
Perhaps it is just as well this isn't a carnivorous genus!

Cliff