Re: N. aristolochioides

From: Kenneth Quinn (mosasaur@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 05:51:18 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 07:51:18 -0500
From: "Kenneth Quinn" <mosasaur@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. aristolochioides

> Can anyone shed light on the meaning of the word aristolochioides
> and how the fascinating nep got the name. Thanks.

It means "resembling Aristolochia", which is a genus of vines commonly
called "Dutchman's Pipe" or "Pipevine". The flowers of that genus are
shaped like the old fashioned meerschaum pipe, are usually colored
brown/yellow/dark red, and have a slight fetid smell; when I break open the
flowers, I sometimes find fruit flies inside near the pistil and stamens.
It's a nonsucculent genus, though there may be two that qualify, but is
very interesting to grow; I grow A. elegans and A. gigantea.

Kenneth Quinn
New Orleans