Re: Nepenthes dying?

From: mp (pmalouf@iamdigex.net)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 13:28:21 PDT

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:28:21 -0400
From: "mp" <pmalouf@iamdigex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes dying?

Adao Pereira wrote:

>.....I think my biggest Nep is dying....a few days ago the nervures
>of some leaves started to turn brown... ...This does not
>happen in oldest leaves......

One thing that can cause this, and is kind of sneaky, is a salt buildup
in the potting medium. It's sneaky because you don't realize that it
is happening until the plant begins to suffer.

Other symptoms can also be that the edges of the leaves turn brown,
or red--any color but green. And the plant stagnates--doesn't grow
like it used to. Instead the leaves start changing color, slowly, and
dying.

You mentioned that you don't water often, because the humidity is
high and the potting medium is always wet. Well, be careful that the
evaporating water doesn't leave salts behind. Even when the potting
medium stays wet, you should water periodically by flushing water
through the pot. This will tend to wash away any salts that are building
up. Note that salt buildup is possible even when you use reverse-osmosis
water. This is because RO water still has some salts in it. The buildup
will take longer than it does with regular tap water, but it can still
occur.

For the next month, try flushing the pot twice or three times per week
with distilled or RO water, the former being better. See if the plant perks
up after one month of this.

Regards,

Perry Malouf