Re: Nepenthes bugs

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 04 1999 - 19:56:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:56:29 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes bugs

<<
 Hello, I have a beautifully growing Nepenthes plant right now I purchased
 last fall at a local nusery. I have yet to identify it. It has traps
 about 2-3 inches tall. The only problem I have right now is the fact
 that little tiny insects have appeared to inhabit the soil and
 surrounding areas. I don't know what kind they are. They are black to
 silver and only a couple mm long and can jump relatively far compared to
 their size. Any ideas? They tend to eat or thrive on dead plant
 material, but will they start attacking my Nepenthes plant?

 Mike
 gfroese1@mbnet.mb.ca

Dear Mike,

They may be springtails (you mentioned they can jump far) which are harmless
as far as I know. Thrips are also small (about 1-2 mm) black, silver, or
green and will badly damage leaves. The damage shows up as silvery sunken
patches on the undersides of the leaves. Heavy infestations are common here
in Florida as thrips attack a wide variety of local trees and shrubs and
Sarracenia. These heavy attacks have weaked plants to the point of death in
rare cases. Systemic insecticides like Cygon 2E or contact insecticides like
Malithion will kill them as will a horticultural oil mixed with something
like Safers brand soap. Cygon is very toxic for an over-the-counter product
so follow directions!

Since you mentioned they thrive on dead plants material, removing all dead
and dying leaves might make them go elsewhere. It will also allow you to see
all the green parts of the plants more easily. I have found scale hiding in
plants that have grown too close together or were otherwise neglected for a
time.

Cliff