Re: Help for the drosera capensis!

From: Chris Hind (chind@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 23:06:06 PST

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:06:06 -0800
From: "Chris Hind" <chind@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help for the drosera capensis!

>Dear all,
>I have some problems about growing Drosera capensis and I hope >somebody
>can give some suggestions on that.
>I have sowed some Drosera capansis seeds on the surface of fresh >live
>moss. I have covered the pot with a piece of food wrap to increase >the
>humidity. Some pores also are made to give ventilation to the >seeds. I
>put the pot under strong sun everyday. At nite, I will remove the food
>wrap and spray some water onto the top of the moss.
>After a 4 weeks, I found some plantlets with 3 to 4 leaflets start to
>come out. I treated the tiny plantlets as above, however, after about >1
>week, some of the plantlets stop growing and die one by one. >What's
>going wrong? How can I save them? The moss also become >pale .and don't
>look healthy at all now
>Is it no good to cover the pot with a food wrap? Or no good to spray >on
>top? Or I should give some food to the plantlet? but no traps are >formed
>yet. Is it the sunlight too strong for the plantlets? What can I do to
>make them grow healthy? How long for them to grow to a size that >have
>traps. I am a beginner for growing CP, so I hope somebody can give >some
>suggestion for me. Thanks for attention!

Wow! You've actually been able to kill one? Amazing! Just get a pot, fill it
with peat and set it in a tray of distilled water in a nice sunny warm
window just like flytrap conditions. IMHO you're overdoing it for capensis
anyways which is practically a weed. Kinda babying the thing to death. If
you have any flytraps you could even throw the capensis seed in the pot with
it because they like essentially the same conditions.