CPs & Computer Games

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 15:43:19 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:43:19 -0500
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CPs & Computer Games

Jason,

Not quite the sort of thing that you mentioned, but a parallel -
CP's have featured in some of the oddest places...

Many people will be familiar with Compuserve and Motorola's joint
venture to produce an online, interactive world - this was begun
many years ago now, is very successful, and continues to develop.
This world, called 'Kymer', or more affectionately, the Dreamscape,
exists in the form of a cyber city and its associated space station
(in orbit). They both come complete with gardens and a wilderness
area. Most of one of these, rather one-track mindedly, is replete
with giant Venus flytraps, and enormous numbers of Nepenthes. What
I can't help noticing is the detail - one of these programmers
clearly knows what N. lowii, N. stenophylla, N. northiana, and
Nepenthes muluensis looks like - because they're *all* they're, in
different places, looking pretty much just like they should. As for
the VFT's - they seem to be a little larger than life - picture
yourself standing next to a VFT twice your height... Odd :)

If anyone is interested, I did take a load of snapshots a while ago,
and am willing to upload them to my website. <'scuse the grammar -
well past my bedtime>

Warmest regards,

Alastair.