raising humidity

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 19:38:27 PST

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:38:27 -0600
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: raising humidity

Hey Listmembers!

I need some help here. I recently set up another terrarium to fill with
plants. I have a ten gallon tank, COMPLETELY covered with a glass top,
two light strips, and thin layer of aquarium gravel on the bottom, and a
gallon jar of water in the corner with an aquarium heater in it, and
about a 1/4" of water in the bottom. The lights are on for 16
hours/day. The temp is about 85 F. I know that it's not good to have
the entire tank covered, since stagnant air is conducive to the growth
of fungus. My problem is that I can't get the humidity to go over 60%.
I want to put some small lowland Neps in it, but is that a sufficient
humidity level? If I take the plastic strip off the back, that will
lower the humidity, right? Any suggestions on how to make the humidity
rise? Thanks in advance.

Will
wgorum@softdisk.com