D. whittakeri question

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 19:23:53 PST

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:23:53 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. whittakeri question

Hooray! After waiting for the past several years I finally received my
hardback copy of Allen Lowrie's CP of Australia Volume 3. I thought I'd be
on Geritol by the time it finally came out.

Anyway, I noticed that Allen has observed DRY dormant conditions for both D.
whittakeri subsp. aberrans and subsp. whittakeri. Having heard in the past
that this drosera goes through damp dormancy I had to pause and scratch my
head. This year is the first for me cultivating the red and orange form
 thanks Peter!). My plants now are beginning to break the surface. Later on
this season when the plants go dormant I'd like to find out what treatment I
should give them. Acquiring good healthy tubers like the ones I received
seems to be more challenging than finding hard-to-get Nepenthes.

If anyone who has either grown this sundew and/or observed it in habitat can
write a few lines about its proper requirements I would be most grateful.
Thanks!

By the way, Allen's latest book is the best of the three. I'd recommend it
to anyone interested in Australian CP species. Finally he has included many
landscape photos of natural habitats, places I've pictured in my minds eye
for years!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio ( cold and clear)
markp@en.com