Re: hybrid naming

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Mar 22 1999 - 19:02:06 PST

Date:          Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:02:06
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: hybrid naming

Dear Hagak,

> if I
> make a Nepenthes hybrid and name it after my name, should I name it
> N.bakemondii or N.bakemondae, or should I put other suffix at the
> end of my name?

Please excuse my ignorance but I do not know if Hagak is a male or
female first name. "bakemondii" would be the correct epithet for a
plant named after a male person, "bakemondiae" for a plant named
after a female person (insertion of an "i" between "bakemond" and the
suffix "- i" or "- ae" is necessary in both cases).

Another possibility would be an adjectival epithet "bakemondiana".

> Is it possible to name simply N.bakemond with no
> suffix?

Not for a taxon. If the hybrid was of horticultural value, it could
be given a cultivar name _Nepenthes_ 'Bakemond'.

> What are the differences between 'ii' and 'ae' or other
> suffix if any?

See above.

> If I wish to give it a name legitimately, what
> should I do?

Please consult CPN 27:27-28 (1998) on "The Correct Naming of
Carnivorous Plants".

Kind regards
Jan