Re: D. arcturi germination

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 23:28:57 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:28:57 +0100
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. arcturi germination

Hi Jens,

>I was recently given some fresh D. arcturi seed. Now I would like to
>know the best way of germinating them. Stratification ? Temperature ?
>GA3 ? How long will it take ? How do I grow the adult plant ? Do they
>need a dormancy period ?

I've just a little experience in D.arcturi.
However, the best way of germinating seed seems to be stratification.
Seed can sometimes germinate also without it, but the percentage is very low.
After stratification they germinate in a few weeks.

Adult plants in the wild experience low temperatures in winter and they go
dormant.
I'm trying giving some plants no dormancy period this winter and they are
doing well until now; I don't know however if they will appreciate a third
consecutive growing season this summer.

As soil I'm using peat-sand 50-50, but probably living Sphagnum would be
better.

Hope this helps

Filippo Tassara
Genoa, Italy