Re: Suplemental Feeding

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 22:33:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 19 Mar 99 01:33 EST
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Suplemental Feeding

Dear Cliff,

> I was browsing through a pet shop and noticed freezedried bloodworms
> for sale in the fishfood section. Has anyone ever tried feeding this
> to say...Nepenthes or maybe S. purpurea? Seems that since both these
> groups contain fluid in their traps, they should be able to
> reconstitute the dried worms. But, is there any nutritional value
> left in them after drying?

   Yes, we've had several discussions about using fish food on
the sever. Basically, all you need to do is look on the label for
the nutritional values and pick out the foods highest in proteins,
lowest in fats. There are several types of fish food that you can
use, and I'm sure some plants are better with a certain type than
with others. I think you would find it easier to use dried tubifex
worms as they come dried out, but pressed into neat little cubes
and are very easy to handle, chop into small pieces for baby plants,
ect, or toss a couple cubes into really big traps. Blood worms can
be pretty messy, but you can use them too. You'll need a funnel for
big traps, BTW, they don't look nice when they get stuck all over
where ever nectar is present.

Dave Evans