Growing pygmies from gemmae

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 10:31:02 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:31:02 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Growing pygmies from gemmae

I'm trying some pygmy sundews for the first time, and they're growing
much slower than I'd expected. The species I'm growing are: pulchella,
dichrosepala, roseana, nitidula x occidentalis, and nitidula x
pulchella. They've been planted for about two and a half months and are
less than a half cm on the bigger ones. The dichrosepala and roseana
seem to forming a little bit of a stem, and are about a half cm tall.
Is all this typical? I'd
appreciate advice about growing conditions for pygmies, especially
light, humidity, and how wet they should be kept. And should it matter
if they're in undrained containers? Also, do they have to go through
dormancy to produce gemmae? Peter's book says that most pygmies can be
grown the same as tropicals, but since I'm afraid I'll kill them I'd
like to propagate them as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah