Re: Drosera hybrid

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 17:32:51 PST

Date:          Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:32:51
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Drosera hybrid

Dear David, Fernando, & al.

> To add a little more to the description, the plants are large for
> brevifolia, the inflorescence has dew along the entire length of the
> inflorescence, and the plant has more of a petiole than I would expect for
> brevifolia. I could take measurements if that would help.

How do the seeds look like? Do they have the distinct papillae of _D.
capillaris_? How do the stipules look like? _D. brevifolia_ does only
have two deciduous lateral setae (looking like hairs but distinct
from the likewise present, thinner hairs) at the base of the leaf,
while _D. capillaris_ has a well developed, clearly visible (lens!)
stipule at the upper (adaxial) surface of the petiole base.

> Does anyone know whether or not the hybrid for capillaris x brevifolia would
> have dew?

The leaves should of course have dew (mucilage) on the glands. The
scape would probably be glandular as well. Even _D. capillaris_ is
not entirely glabrous, it frequently has minute (lens/microscope!)
glands on the scape.

> Are there other characteristics I could look for that would help
> in determining whether or not it's brevifolia or a hybrid?

Which plants (particularly, which species of _Drosera_) are growing
nearby? How large is the population? How many such populations are
known?

Fernando: Have you seen such intermediate plants where the two
species occur together in Brazil?

al.: Has anyone on this list seen other populations of a possible _D.
brevifolia * capillaris_ hybrid anywhere? Outside the USA it should
also be possible in Mexico, Belize, Cuba, and Brazil (perhaps also
elsewhere).

Several years ago, I have seen a cultivated plant (not in flower,
unfortunately) that was named "Drosera notholeuris" (invalid name).
The plant was from the Botanical Gardens of Padova, Italy (I do not
know if it was originated there). It could have been an artificial
hybrid involving the two parents above. Does anyone know something
about these plants?

TNX in advance for your help.

Kind regards
Jan