Aldrovanda culture, Utricularia and algae

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 13:46:30 PST

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:46:30 -0000
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Aldrovanda culture, Utricularia and algae

Hi Chris and all!

Thank you for your help!
Any further discussion on this will be welcome, too!

> > Now, about Utrics and algae... I had some U. gibba and U. vulgaris
growing
> > outdoors, and so, there was lots of algae growing with them. Then, I
took
> > one cutting of each and placed it indoors, at 30 C and plenty of light
in a
> > very small container. Guess what! All the algae died! Not even a little
bit

> Probably due to low light levels, or simply shock from movement.
> I'll bet if you leave it for a while, some of the low-light tolerant
> diatoms will start to grow, although they're not as bothersome as the

No, no, the light level is rather high! I'm using a halogen lamp! The
container is completely closed, so it can be the lack of CO2 or
something... I don't know. What I know is that they've been growing for
more than two months in these conditions, and the Utrics thrive while the
algae don't even appear.

> In an algal rich environment or inside in lower light levels? As
> I said above, try it and see what happens.

In 30 C and lots of light... I'll try it anyway. I mean, no, I won't! The
plant likes partial shade...

Thanks again!
Good growing,
Miguel