Re: Sterile Drosera hybrids

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 07:05:00 PST

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:05:00 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sterile Drosera hybrids

Greetings Jan and all interested parties,

> > >Have you really tested this? So far most _Drosera_ hybrids involving

> > >parents with *equal* ploidy have in fact been *fertile*.
(...)
> > I was under the impression that one of the most popular pygmy sundews
in
> > cultivation, formerly referred to as "Lake Badgerup", was in fact D.
> > nitidula ssp. omissa x D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis and that
this
> > was a sterile hybrid.

>So you know the chromosome number of _D. occidentalis_? If you
>really do, please tell it to me. It has AFAIK not been published yet.
>*Equal* ploidy in the context above means equal number of
>chromosomes. For the mentioned hybrid this would mean that _D.
>occidentalis_ would require to have the same chromosome count as _D.
>nitidula_ (in the form Lowrie & al. erroneously regarded as subsp.
>omissa, distinctly different from the type of the latter taxon), i.e.
>2n=28.

Afraid I certainly don't have a chromosome count. I gather their is some
controversy here but I'm not sure if you are questioning:
A. the sterility of the plant or
B. the supposition that the plant is a hybrid with the above named
parents.

If B, then is it safe to assume that sterility of hybrids is always a
result of differing ploidy?

Re: Thomas Hayes and DANGEROUS PLANTS
I'm feeling a tad red faced at the moment . . .Public apology for
cluttering the listserver. The only excuse I can offer is that I have
been home a lot recently with a sick one year old and have obviously seen
a wee too much Barney and Teletubbies. . . . Time for tubby bye bye
aaacck

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/