Re: nep deformation and pitchers

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 10:39:00 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:39:00 -0500
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: nep deformation and pitchers

Hey Chris,

I should apologise for not replying sooner - I don't often read all
of the digests that come my way, and so it took someone else's
pointing your message out to me for me to notice.

When I replied to your original posting, I didn't even think to
mention that I also have Nepenthes singgalana in my collection. It
is a small plant, just a few centimetres across (I picked it up at a
BCPS open day - it originally came from Andreas, I assume), but has
also started growing really rapidly recently. It seems to be a
common feature of the species from this group - well, at least with
regard to those that have come to me through tissue cultured
material.

Let's see - my plants all grow together in coldframes mounted with
fluorescent strip lighting. Humidity is fairly constant in the day
at ca.70 %, going up to the eighties or nineties at night
(incidentally, just like their habitats). My daytime temperatures
vary - at the moment, about 24 deg centigrade, falling to about 18
deg at night. Later in the summer, they will rise to about ca.32
degrees centigrade, which is fine for my highland plants PROVIDED
that the temperature falls suitably low at night.

When I was atop the summits of G. Trus Madi and G. Mulu last
summer, I noted daytime air temperatures in excess of 25 degrees,
and soil temperatures up of 30 degrees, so these plants can take
daytime heat (not to mention painfully intense sunlight) - just be
aware that these conditions take a plunge come evening - Trus Madi
was a few degrees above freezing... believe me - really pleasant to
sleep in :)

I would assume that Nepenthes inermis and N. carunculata would
respond to the same conditions as the species you already grow. I
am especially interested in the former and would be happy to hear
about how you fare. By the way, do you know of anyone who has spare
plants of N.bicalcarata to sell?

Thanks for your time,

Alastair

- - http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/8690/glade.html