S. purpurea water

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 09:44:54 PST

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:44:54 -0500
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S. purpurea water

Hello All,
      I'm sorry if this question has been covered before. I have
searched through the achives for an answer with no success. I have
a few recently acquired S.purpureae that appear to be doing quite well.
Both have produced new growth and have begun to develope some red
coloration. My question is, should the pitchers occasionaly be flushed
with clean water? Due to there structure it would seem that this would
happen when growing outside with rain. I was also wondering how full
the pitchers should be? When filling the trays I use DI water with all
of my plants. This is my first experience with any Sarracenia, but I
deffinately look to acquring more in the future.
Thanks.

John Odum

John-

The S. purpurea that I have encountered in the wild usually have varying
amounts of liquid in them. After a heavy rain they can be filled to the top,
long periods of dry conditions will cause most of the fluid to evaporate
except for the "nutritious sludge" at the bottom. My advice if you are
growing them outdoors would be to keep them half filled, though I let Mother
Nature take her course throughout the growing season. You will find that
your plants catch ample prey without any artificial intervention.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com