Nepenthes and bonsai mix--

From: Gary Kong (garko@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jan 31 1999 - 18:31:49 PST

Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:31:49 -0800
From: Gary Kong <garko@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes and bonsai mix--

Hi Everyone--

My N. sanguinea is quickly outgrowing its four inch pot, and will soon
need to be re-potted. I have a bag of "Bonsai Mix," sold under the label
"Whitney Farms." It contains: "Black Cinder Rock, Sphagnum Moss, Fir
Bark Fines, and Black Cinder Sand." If I mix in some perlite to improve
drainage, does this sound like a good medium for Nepenthes? Also, I
could use some tips for repotting. For instance, many of the leaves are
hugging the pot, way below the soil level in the pot. What do I do?
Mound soil around the root ball? Bury the bottoms of the pitchers? Or
do I force the recumbent leaves up by making the soil level uniform with
the existing soil level? Thanks, Gary.