Pinguicula luscitanica and P. moranensis

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 06:07:10 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:07:10 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pinguicula luscitanica and P. moranensis

I thought I would talk about my experiences with P. luscitanica to find out
if I'm growing this species properly. Somewhere between 1 and 2 years ago,
I planted seed on a mix of 1 part sand and 1 part milled sphagnum peat moss.
They have since germinated, and flowered last summer having spent their
entire life under fluorescent lights. I've kept them in the basement so
they've never experienced our long, hot summers. Right now days are usually
in the 70's to occasionally 80's (F) and nights are in the 50's to
occasionally 60's now that they are in an enclosed grow room for the winter
that has plastic on 2 walls separating the grow room from outdoor weather.

One of the things that's bothering me is that the plants are maybe 1 cm in
diameter. Is this the right size for luscitanica? They have never formed
winter buds (Should they?), and the leaves have always seemed to be very
curled.

I also have a question about P. moranensis. I removed the pot from a tray
of water maybe 1 to 2 months ago to try to induce winter dormancy. I have
watered the pot occasionally, maybe once every 2 weeks for fear that the
plants would dry out too much. They are still catching insects voraciously,
and I'm concerned that I'm not giving them the winter dormancy they need.
Any suggestions? Should I get tough!

David
Atlanta