Drosera Surprize

From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 18:23:27 PST

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:23:27 EST
From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera Surprize

Just a little note for what it's worth.....

Last Spring I bought a group of Darlingtonia from my local Home Depot and
Lowe's outlets. All have been kept in their own terrarium, completely
separate from all my other plants. I transplanted several into a rather
shallow container in order to form a "Darlingtonia garden" type environment.
Bad idea. Most of the "garden" plants died, but I managed to save one of two
stolons and have replanted them. But, back to the main point...... Last week
when I cleaned out the dead plants, I found a nice little Drosera growing out
of the thick sphagnum mat that had begun to overgrow the container. By all
accounts, it appears to be D. prolifera. Since transplanting it, at least two
new traps have opened, with several other on the way.

The Darlingtonia were from Gubler's. Since I kept the plants totally isolated
from everything else, and I did not previously have any D. prolifera, I assume
it had to originate from Gubler's. But, I've never seen any D. prolifera
offered from them before. Oh well, no complaints from here!