Re: T shirts and Hillary

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 13:06:04 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:06:04 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: T shirts and Hillary

Greeting folks, Peter here at California Carnivores:
      Someone, I think Charles, asked what the nepenthes was on our t-shirt.
It isn't any species or hybrid; it is a generic plant done by the artist Ken
Holley after he visited our nursery. While the basic plant design on each
shirt is the same, since they are hand painted the coloration can vary from
shirt to shirt. Species or not, they are rather beautiful. There's a photo
of it on our website: californiacarnivores.com.
      I'm surprised no one on the listserver mention First Lady Hillary
Clinton's admiration of the Nepenthes at the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden
Gate Park. This was reported by a San Francisco newspaper some time before
Christmas. The Conservatory was severely damaged in the 1994 windstorm, which
caused millions of dollars in damage to the national landmark, which has been
closed to the public since then, due to lack of funds to repair it. Hillary
visited to drum up support. The newspaper mentioned that the first plants she
approached were the fabulous Nepenthes that George (the curator) grows there.
She was awed by them, and seemed to want to discuss nothing else. The paper
didn't mention if she inquired as to whether they would eat any
Republicans....
      Th-th-th-th-th-that's all, folks! Peter