Repotting CP's

From: Kelley, Ian (IKelley@littler.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 16:48:55 PST

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:48:55 -0800
From: "Kelley, Ian" <IKelley@littler.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Repotting CP's

Getting ready to repot plants - I want to put something in the bottom of
the pot to improve drainage and prevent the medium from slowly dribbling
out the holes in the bottom of the pot.

I have lots of pots in which long-fibered sphagnum has been used, but it
can smell a bit mulchy as it breaks down in the bottom of the pot.

In the Home Depot today I saw a sack of horticultural charcoal sold for
just this purpose. Has anyone used this? I like the idea that the
filtering action of the charcoal will help to keep the medium "fresh",
but am worried about effects on ph or unforseen considerations.....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ian
San Francisco, CA