Re: New to the list

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 05:14:01 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:14:01 -0500 (EST)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New to the list

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Lee Stradley wrote:

> Hi, I just started growing a few CP's
> I recently bought 2 VF traps in those domes. One
> is a single plant 3inches across, the other is a group of small plants
> that take up much of the 3inch pot. The plants look very healthy,
> but I am wonder if I should put them in a cool spot in the
> greenhouse 40+-,and let them go dormant, or let them grow? And Why?

A temperature of 40 +/- deg. F is probably not low enough for effective
dormancy in VFTs. If you do not have lower temperatures available, then let
them grow, but get them out of the 3 inch pots. Re-pot into a 6 inch or one
gallon pot with a 50:50 mix of sand:peat and let them stand in a shallow
tray of water (1 inch deep). They should do well there for 5 years +/-.

Dormancy seems to help the plants grow better in the next year, but I also
live where temperatures do not fall low enough for effective dormancy, and
I have success with VFTs here in central Florida. They will do OK, although
i do not get the huge traps that some more northern growers report. My VFTs
routinely get traps about 1.25 inches across, while I read that some people
report traps about twice that size in northern areas.
- Carl