Roridula questions

From: Mike Vogl (mvogl@webaccess.net)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 10:00:38 PST

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:00:38 +0000
From: Mike Vogl <mvogl@webaccess.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Roridula questions

Hello all-

I just acquired some Roridula dentata seeds, and was seeking some advice
on germination, culture, etc... any info would be greatly appreciated.

First, how do I get them to germinate? I have heard that they are tough
little suckers. Would scratching the seed coat, boiling, fire, gibb
acid, or other similar treatment help? Or is this kind of abuse
unnecesarry for Roridula?

Second: when and if they do germinate, how do I care for them? Soil,
light, humidity, etc... basically I can put them where it is cool,
bright and wet with my Helis; warmer, dimmer and equally moist with my
Neps, Byblis, Droseras, etc...; or under "hard" conditions with
Brocchinia. What would be best?

PS- Although I realize that this is a long shot, I thought it would be
really cool to have a colony of assassin bugs on them. I know this has
been done by researchers, but I don't think the local PetSmart has much
in the way of a Capsid Bug aisle... so does anyone know of a source?

Thanks a lot-

-Jonathan Mitchell