growing sarracenia in Oklahoma

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 01:18:20 PST

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:18:20 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: growing sarracenia in Oklahoma

> I live in Eastern Oklahoma, and I would like to know if my climate
> would be suitable to grow Sarracenias, and maybe Dioneas outside,
> unfortunatly, some times the temperatures can be around 45 degrees
> celcius (112 F) for a week on end, I would probably water daily. I most
> likely wouldnt be able to water at noon though, just mornings and
> evenings. The humidity is exceptionaly variable, but stays 60-70% RH
> most of the time during the summer. I will be able to keep them from
> freezing during winter.

So long as it's humid, I think you might be okay. Dry heat like that
could be deadly, though. I would recommend a little bit of shade
during the hottest part of the day, and definately grow them all in
plenty big enough containers with lots of water. A sunken artificial
bog type container would be best, to help keep the soil temperatures
cool, and definitely don't grow them in pots sitting on dark asphalt
or something tortuous like that. Sphagnum moss growing on top of the
soil surface will also help to moderate the temperatures, but it will
need sprinkling every morning and evening to keep alive when it's
nasty. Good luck!

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden