Re: Modern Publications of Genetics-derived Taxonomic Group

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 10:53:33 PST

Date:          Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:53:33
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Modern Publications of Genetics-derived Taxonomic Group

Dear Jason,

> I think the subject line pretty much explains it but does anyone know if
> there is a definitive taxonomy tree showing the taxonomic groupings of CPs
> based upon genetic study?

There are several such trees but I would not recommend to regard any
of them as definitive. Plant systematics is a convergent science,
improving in time but reaching definitive status only in infinity.

> I know there is a very nice one at Barry's page
> but is that up-to-date?

More or less. It represents the results by Chase & al.

> In any event I'd like to see what other plants occur
> in the groupings that contain CPs.

Here is how I would classify the CP families at the moment:

Asteridae
 Scrophulariales
  Lentibulariaceae
  Byblidaceae
  (Martyniaceae)
  and numerous non-carnivorous families (incl. Scrophulariaceae,
     Labiatae, Gesneriaceae, Acanthaceae, Oleaceae)
 other, non-CP-orders:
 Solanales, Gentianales, Cornales, Dipsacales, Araliales, Asterales
Ericidae
 Ericales
  Sarraceniaceae
  Roridulaceae
  and several non-CP families (incl. Ericaceae, Actinidiaceae,
     Sapotaceae, Lecythidaceae, Fouquieriaceae, Marcgraviaceae,
     Balsaminaceae)
 other, non-CP-order:
 Primulales
Caryophyllidae
 Nepenthales
  Droseraceae
  Drosophyllaceae
  Dioncophyllaceae (non-CP genera: _Habropetalum_, _Dioncophyllum_)
  Nepenthaceae
  non CP: Ancistrocladaceae, Plumbaginaceae, Polygonaceae
 other, non-CP-order:
 Caryophyllales, perhaps also Santalales (may belong to a separate
    subclass)
Rosidae
 Cunoniales (Oxalidales)
  ?Cephalotaceae (only supported by rbcL data)
  non-CP: Oxalidaceae, Elaeocarpaceae, Cunoniaceae, Connaraceae)
 non-CP-orders:
 Fabales, Cucurbitales, Fagales, Rosales, Violales, Euphorbiales
non-CP-subclasses: Myrtidae, Hamamelidae, Ranunculidae, Magnoliidae,
   Liliidae (incl. Poales: Bromeliaceae: _Brocchinia_, _Catopsis_)

Kind regards
Jan