Re: aphids

From: Jaime Rodriguez (jaime@matnet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 20:44:41 PST

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:44:41 -0800
From: "Jaime Rodriguez" <jaime@matnet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: aphids

There was a mutant aphid that showed up here in Alaska this summer that is
resistant to almost everything. It was the big green variety that is
usually wingless, but occassionally produces a winged generation. Full
strength safer soap was like throwing a party for them. Pyrethrins made
them drunker. The only thing that seems to have eradicated them is a
product that was gotten through the Integrated Pest Managment office of the
Alaska Cooperative Extension Service. The stuff is called BotanigardTM ES,
a mycoinsecticide produced by a company called Mycotech. It is a fungus
that attacks aphids, whitefly, thrips and mealybugs. The active ingredient
is a liquid suspension of active spores of Beauvaria bassiana Strain GHA.

It took care of my aphid problem, and was harmless to most foliage, though
it did burn a few plants leaves. I didn't use it on my CP's, because they
weren't infested, mercifully, so I can't report it's effect on them.

I have never seen this product in stores. The company address is printed
on the bottle: Mycotech Corporation
117 South Parkmont
P.O. Box 4109
Butte, MT 59702-4109