Re: Temperate Pings

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 13:53:24 PST

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:53:24 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Temperate Pings

In message <000801be2726$21471660$01d2b4cf@markp.crscms.com>, Mark
Pogany <markp@en.com> writes
>Jorel wrote:
>
>1. How's the best way to germinate temperate pinguicula?
>
>Cold temperate pings need stratification in order to germinate well. I put
>mine on a damp coffee filter, sans coffee, roll it up and place in a ziplock
>bag. This goes in the fridge for 6 weeks. Then just sprinkle the seed on the
>surface of a small pot filled with peat and place under growlights in a warm
>area (65-80f). Keep the pot covered with a baggy to maintain high humidity.
>The seed should germinate within a month.

Some temperate Pinguicula seed (e.g. P. alpina. P. crystalina) seems to
contain an inhibitor which in nature gets washed out by seeping water or
high rainfall and will either not respond at all to normal methods of
stratification or will give really poor germination.

The best way to get these seeds to germinate is to soak them. When the
seed begins to germinate transfer the seed to a suitable growing medium
(depending on the species this will either be acidic or alkaline).

There is a full description of this method in the coming UKCPS journal
in an article by Loyd Wix, due out in early January.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk