Re:Nepenthes Growth

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 09:27:25 PST

Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 12:27:25 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes Growth

----------
> I've noticed that one of the shoots is dominating. Will that
>mean that the other two's growth will decline eventually, from the lack
>of light, or will they still benefit from the dominating shoot's light
>exposure? After all they are all part of the same plant.

Usually when a Nepenthes puts out multiple shoots, the plant will put most
of its energy into one of them (probably the one in the most favored
microclimate).

> If the plant still will not
>grow, I'm going to (as a last resort) nip off the "dormant" growing
>point to see what will happen. Anyone tried that?

I don't recommend it. Raffs can be a little picky about changes in the
environment. Give it some time- six months may be needed- to acclimate. If
you are growing under artificial light, increase your photoperiod. If you
are growing in sunlight, and in the northern hemisphere, the problem is most
likely the short daylight hours. Rafflesiana, Hookeriana and bicalcarata
definitely slow down during the short days of winter.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl