Re: Fertilizing CP

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 20:37:43 PST

Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 20:37:43 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fertilizing CP

This certainly has become an interesting thread. It started with flames
that promised to rival Barry's infamous plant sale from a couple of
years ago(sorry, I couldn't resist reminiscing). I guess the list has
risen to a higher level, as the flames were quickly extinguished.

>I don't think fertilizers can replace insects. I think >the fact that
these plants are insectivorous and in >some cases carnivorous needs to
be stressed. There is a >reason that these plants evolved in this way.
How can >we say that nature does not know what is best for her, >that
our engineered chemicals are better than nature's >own concoctions??

While we may not fully understand all the nutrients that these plants
obtain from their insect prey, it is certain that CP benefit from N-P-K.
It's safe to assume that there are several trace elements that CP
utilize, again obtained from insect prey. Why should we expect
fertilizing to replace insect prey? Wouldn't supplementing suffice?
I remember someone on the list cited an article about fertilizing
Sarracenia. I never did get a copy of the article, but I understand the
author observed a benefit from fertilizing and determined the "ideal"
concentration. Is anyone familiar with this article? I've done some
crude experimenting with fertilizers on CP and am anxious to try using
manure. Manure benefits plants beyond N-P-K because it is also rich in
trace elements. "Man-made" fertilizers fall short in this area. I
speculate that manure could help fill the nutritional gap between
fertilizers and insect prey.

>I grow all my Nepenthes in 55 gallon tanks and the >plants have little
access to insects.

Christoph, do you grow your plants under lights? I think it's much
bolder to try replacing the sun with some fluorescent tubes; the gap
between the sun and lights is much greater than insects and fertilizers.
I make this comparison facetiously because fertilizing CP should no
longer strike fear in the minds of growers.

>In my experience, plants that have had sufficient >insects, do best.
Fertilizer is just a replacement for
>something that we humans cannot adequately provide in >an artificial
environment. I would guarantee that >those people who grow their plants
outside with free >access to insects have far more beautiful plants than
>anyone feeding their plants chemicals. All I can point >to is a dinner
plate size P.moranensis grown outside >at the Botanical Garden in
Zurich. It was covered
>with dead insect bodies and not fed any fertilizer.

I've seen Sarracenia with a monthly fertilizing regimen go from seedling
to flowering plant in 2-3 years. That is an accomplishment that takes
mother nature 5-7 years. As Charles Brewer mentioned, there is not much
point in fertilizing CP after that. My final point, fertilizing can be
used to enhance growth of CP, but...proceed with caution, you can get
too much of a good thing.

All the best,
Stefan Ploszak