Re: New Terrarium

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 27 1998 - 13:45:32 PST

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:45:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New Terrarium

Hi Dave,

> Hello all,
>
> Just wanted to drop a line to ask a question. I spent all day
> Thanksgiving setting up a new Terrarium\Aquarium. It is a Hexagonal
> Aquarium that is half filled with water. I took a smaller aquarium of
> the same shape but half as tall as the main aquarium and filled it peat
> and sand (mixed 50/50) half way. So I have a big aquarium with a small
> one in the middle surrounded by water. The water will support my
> utriculara.

        Sounds interesting!

> It is pretty neat to look at your plants magnified and without any
> condensation. The water fall sounds nice also. Now my question. Do
> utriculara species do well in an aquarium setting? I am wanting to
> include some tropical fish and was wondering how they get along. The
> water will be around 80 degrees year round.

        I've seen Utricularia kept in planted aquaria with fish many times
and fish tend to keep away from the leaves. Make sure to choose those
ones that aren't known to be big plant eaters (many web-pages on this
subject if you're interested) and stock lightly. Also, make sure to
change the water on a fairly frequent basis to keep nutrients low.
U.gibba is probably one of the more common ones seen in aquaria, although
I've also seen what I think was U.minor. I haven't seen them flower in
this setting yet, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

> Happy Holidays
>
> Dave

        Good luck with the terrarium/aquarium/vivarium!

Regards,

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences