Re: Nepenthes propagation

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 09:36:30 PST

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:36:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes propagation

I haven't had the chance to propagate highland neps, but for some of the
hardy lowlanders and hybrids I just cut off the top, which may have two to
five leaves on it and stick it right back in the same pot as the stump
with the roots. The bottom leaves and pitchers will start to die but after
a few weeks, new growth starts. The stump, which usually has a couple
nodes on it, also starts new growth buds. I don't use any rooting hormone
or the infamous superthrive. I do, however, make sure the medium is always
a bit wet and the cuttings are kept warm. This method also works with
woody, brown stems. I find for these that moisture is vital.

Paul Burkhardt