Re: S. leuco. "Schnell's Ghost , yellow flower" what's that?

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 13:42:52 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:42:52 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. leuco. "Schnell's Ghost , yellow flower" what's that?

Jan,

>> S. leucophylla "Schnell's Ghost" is an unpublished cultivar from Martin
>> Cheek here in the UK.
>
>There is no such thing like an unpublished cultivar. Either a name
>of a cultivated plant is published, registered, and established or it
>is rubbish.

Okay, I realised as soon as I typed that bit out that I was painting a
fairly large target onto my back! AFAIK the only reference I have ever
seen in print to this name was in a trading list produced by Martin in
the early 1990's. The name is certainly in common use at least here in
the UK but again I agree this is not grounds for accepting it as a
cultivar.

>The name mentioned is not registered, nor has any application
>reached the ICPS (the CP IRA since recently) so far, nor did I see
>any publication mentioning that name (please communicate a
>reference to me if anyone has seen such a publication).

I never intended to imply such.

--
Phil Wilson