Re: Cultivar rubbish and ideas

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 12:57:25 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:57:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cultivar rubbish and ideas

Hi all,

> In the December issue of CPN (soon to be mailed, and on time I may
> proudly add) there will be a note from Jan regarding what must be
> published to make a cultivar valid. I am also considering creating a
> Cultivar Description Template. This template would include all the
> required fields for you to fill in, and would be available at our web
> site. I have to work out the details with Jan, however...

        The template idea sounds great. I know this method has been used
successfully by orchid and Saintpaulia societies. Plus, keeping it simple
helps all those who are interested in introducing new cultivars to the
greater population. I speak for myself only, but the less work I'd have
to do, the better ;)!

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:

> Now, a useful direction this discussion could go in was inspired by Bill
> Baumgartl and Jay Lechtman. CPN is the cultivar registration authority,
> and is not in the position of judging the MERIT of individual cultivars.
> However, the ICPS *could* judge cultivars (thanks to Jay for this
> approach). As such, we could DEVISE A SYSTEM OF JUDGING CULTIVARS, similar
> to the way the orchid societies do. This system must be carefully devised
> so as to avoid various biases, etc. I hope the various CPers on this
> discussion group who are also orchid growers take time to make
> suggestions. Even if you do not grow orchids, I would love to see
> suggestions on cultivar judgements. These would probably have to be genus
> specific? Perhaps not?

        Judging each individual cultivar could, in the long run, prove to
be quite a hassle, especially if it is made as easy as filling out and
submitting a form, I'd expect to see dozens, or if expanding into all cp,
perhaps hundreds per year. Perhaps the best judge is time. As was
recently alluded to in the CPN article about 'Dixie Lace' (the other I
can't remember right now, sorry), they had previous cultivars which, in
the long run proved unsatisfactory or simply went extinct. Again, I think
the general public would be the best judge as to whether a cultivar merits
continuous growth in cultivation, or is destined for the compost.

        Having ranted on above, if the ICPS were willing to take on this
rather large task, I'd suggest judging on size, hardiness (temp, pH,
etc.), growth rate, colour, ease of reproduction, and overall look of the
plant, not necessarily in that order.

> Useful suggestions needed!

        Well, I don't know if that was useful, but that is my opinion :)!
Again, I think the right steps are being taken, especially through careful
explanation of what makes a cultivar a cultivar, how to register it. But
again, I beleive that the best judge of a worthy cultivar is time.

> Barry
>
> ------------------------
> Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
> Carnivorous Plant Newsletter