Re: Antenna Utrics

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 15:07:19 PST

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:07:19 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Antenna Utrics

In message <199811060355.TAA19461@hplms26.hpl.hp.com>, Tim Malcolm
<malcol01@camosun.bc.ca> writes
>Does anyone have any experience growing U. capilliflora, or any of the
>other 3 species with the odd flower appendages? Are they difficult to
>germinate or cultivate? I've notice that Allan Lowrie lists seed for a
>couple of them in his catalog, and if their not too hard to care for I
>might give them a try.

These species of Utric are notoriously difficult to get to germinate. A
few years ago several people here in the UK had success germinating U.
cappiflora, myself included. I have since tried several of the other
Utrics of this type as well as U. cappiflora with no success. Perhaps
the seed of these species are very short lived.

Once germinated U. cappiflora is as easy to grow as any other
terrestrial Utric. The flowers are fantastic but unfortunately the
species is an annual so plants must be raised from seed each year. I
also tried pollinating (both selfing and crossing) but got no seed.

Regards

--
Phil Wilson