Competition for sunlight?

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 15:42:21 PST

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:42:21 EST
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Competition for sunlight?

Amidst all the fun of the carnivor /not-carnivor argument (and i didn't even
start this one) I noticed the following:

> This leads me to another question. I wonder if an acidic soil is necessary
> for proper nutritional absorption by the roots or merely to provide an
> environment where competition for sunlight is reduced.

Sunlight may be a key or the key need of some plants but it is not always the
requirement. The soil type seems to be a controller simply as various soils
limit the ability of many plants to survive. This could easily result if the
soil was of an extreme type such as (add "very" in front of each one): acidic,
alkaline, free draining, poisenous, etc.

CP's are found in the first two (acid/alkali). I suppose some Australians,
CP's I mean, (real australians are almost always free draining of the "tinny"
variety :-} ) might qualify for free draining life styles and so might
Drosophyllum. There are Pings and Drosera that belong in poisenous soils. At
least one Ping is interesting as it will live in deep shade where other plants
can't survive even if they could tolerate the poisenous soil.

I have always considered deserts are prime targets for a new carnivorous,
proto-carnivorous or sub-carnivorous species to be found (and even suggested a
desert bromeliad - carnivorous on, or at least happy to make use of, birds on
mammals). I'm sure this will not (ever) meet the qualifications to enter
Jan's list but that wasn't the point of the email. Just making sure sun isn't
viewed as the only critical factor to survival. It depends on the plant

Regards

Paul